Teaching Philosophy

My enthusiasm about art is boundless and I love sharing that with my students. Because of my studio, art history, art criticism, and aesthetics experience base I am able to structure meaningful art experiences for my students. I build comprehension of the elements of art and the principles of design in each project I assign.


I believe that art can help students by encouraging problem solving and critical thinking. My art instruction includes study of art of past and present cultures from around the world to enable students to gain appreciation and understanding of their own heritage and other cultures.

My students evaluate their own artworks and those of their peers as well as those of the masters. I hold formal oral critiques and students write self assessments of their own projects.

It is important for me to select certain units of study to coordinate with the classroom teacher; creating art across the curriculum. Students can further explore social studies, history, science, math and language arts while using their hands and minds to create works of art.

Art can be a social effort that builds an exchange between artist and viewers. I provide opportunities for parents, friends and the community to appreciate student work. Students are taken on field trips or “virtual” trips to examine master works or interesting environments.

My aim is to develop aesthetically responsive, literate, and creative students with a life-long interest and involvement in the arts. I hope that I am able to achieve a classroom atmosphere that is fun, supportive, and accommodates different abilities and learning styles.